Deployment NameGliderProjectDeployedRecoveredDaysDistancePayload BayOSNotes
ru25d-20110103T1405ru25dLTER2011-01-03
14:05Z
2011-02-01
00:45Z
28.7575.4 km01567.03

All Notes (16)

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-08-21 17:54:23Informational

Science payload:

ctd-156

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-30 16:36:53Informational

Science computer turned off:
use - science_super

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-28 10:07:06Informational

Retasked on new route, basically going offshore on the 200 line.

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-21 21:48:45Informational

u_min_altimeter = 200 meters

Chip and I decided power was no longer issue, risk avoidance better.

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-21 16:46:25Informational

Power Budget:

ru25d \'10-11 Palmer Season Deployment 1:
51 AH at 12.7 V, 12.7 V extrapolated at 57.6% battery life using history of curves
total AH = 89
ru25d \'09-10 Palmer Season Deployment:
86 AH @ 12.2 V, 12.2 V extrapolated at 71% using battery life curves
total AH = 121 (high because we drifted)
ru16 NJDEP:
116 AH @ 12.05 V ==> 140 AH total estimated
Theoretical (from Duracell):
5.65 AH * 23 = 130 AH

Temperature effect (from Duracell):
21 C --> 0 C = 71%
21 C --> -10 C = 50%
~ 2.1% per deg C ==> ~ 70 % for ru25d

135 AH average (theoretical vs \'10-11 deployment 1)

135 AH 8 .7 = 94.5 AH lets say 92 AH because we don\'t know what was used in lab

edit- updated the theoretical number by 5% due to ru25d burning less battery. Overall change is small, < 2 ah.

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-19 22:47:28Informational

Script was off for most of the day, lead to not being retasked to shorter segments plus deepening water made a long 2 segments. Took out of mission, transferred all the files, glider looks good. On shorter segments and retasked SW.


U_ALT_MIN_DEPTH 400 !!!

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-18 11:35:31Informational

u_alt_min_depth 300 m

WILL NEED TO CHANGE IF WE SHALLOW

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-12 19:34:55Informational

Disabled CTD 1/11 on upcasts, only on during downcasts to save power.

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-11 16:25:05Informational

u_alt_min_depth 225

WILL NEED TO CHANGE WHEN WE SHALLOW

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-11 09:26:48Informational

Should have changed the waypoint last night, we overshot going offshore. Need to discuss do we go offshore or stay onshore and have it decided by end of today. Nevertheless waypoint set to run alongshore. Need to analyze alkaline energy at -2 c and projections, and very likely save more power on how many days left we think we have.

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-10 09:09:48Informational

Moved waypoint more aggressively offshore, see if the currents are less as we move offshore. Window # 2 to move offshore is a bit late now, but we have another window soon if we want to bail on the nearshore route.

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-08 19:01:19Informational

Turning CTD off at surface, only on during dives, hovers, climbs to save more power. Going to withhold saving more power on altimeter until we are out of the horn and cruising to rothera.

Next step for power saving is riskier, low power mode.

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-07 21:57:34Informational

put u_alt_min_depth 100 to save some power, well need to watch if we get into shallow water.

This is in anticipation we might have to speed glider up to get out of these currents...

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-05 22:50:48Informational

Slowed down the dives a bit more, likely good for now.

Increased pitch deadband to .087 rad = 5 deg to help with the pitch angle toggling during the yo\'s. Will switch to battpos once we settle.

Decided to go south of island, routes coming apparent with help from a really cool program, http://www.geomapapp.org/

Created by: dkaragon @ 2011-01-05 00:07:11Informational

We need to decide north or south of island

Gave it waypoints to buy us time overnight, we decide tomorrow.

2 yo\'s with +- 200 cc pump to start saving power, will need to do further with altimeter savings, tbd, and perhaps when in better water, low power mode.

Created by: haskins @ 2010-05-13 14:55:00Informational

After leak in Antarctica entire glider was sent to Webb on 4/30/10. Webb is going to investigate CTD leak as well as retrofit the glider with new pump and digifin. All repairs should be covered under warranty.