May 14, 2001
- Oscar Schofield and Scott Glenn were appointed Adjunct Professors
in the Department of Biology, California Polytechnic State University.
The following paper by Hover, V. C., Walter, L. M., Peacor, D.
R., 2001, v. 175, p. 221-248, has just come out in Chemical Geology:
Early marine diagenesis of biogenic aragonite and Mg-calcite:
New constraints from high resolution STEM and AEM of modern platform
- NBC television in Philadelphia (channel 10) will begin a new
era in weather forecasting when they begin using thecoolroom.org
(IMCS COOL Lab) on TV Memorial day weekend for their New Jersey
shore ocean water forecasts. The 10am, 5pm and 11pm news casts
will air satellite and CODAR HF-RADAR data for the Jersey shore.
This summer's forecasts begin on Thursday, May 24th, with interviews
of Josh Kohut and Mike Crowley. See you on TV....
- Uwe Kils has contributed another "best photo" to FishBase
of a flatfish juvenile (windowpane flounder) (http://www.fishbase.org/Photos/BestPhotoThumbnails.cfm),
and an image of a filter-feeding school of Atlantic herring to
the "clupea.net" project (http://www.clupea.net/contact/index.html).
- Ag Field Day was April 28. Various activities took place at
IMCS, including a successful demonstration on estuarine circulation
from Bob Chant and Chip Haldeman. A special merit award goes to
Bob for his display, and thanks to Chip for building the tank.
We would also like to thank our other volunteers: Shannon Newby,
Tomoko Komada, Fred and Judy Grassle, Costa Vetriani, Kate and
Rob Cermak, Hongguang Ma, and Fadli Syamsudin.
- IMCS will have a booth at the New Jersey Governor's Conference
on Tourism May 6-8 in Atlantic City.
- May 23, 2001, 2:00PM, Alampi Room, Seminar by Paul Barber, Harvard,
"Genetic insights into the physical and biological limits
to dispersal among Indo-Pacific stomatopod populations."
- May 24, 2001, 2:00PM, Alampi Room, Seminar by Marilyn Buchholtz
ten Brink, USGS, "Sewage sludge and sedimentary processes
in and around the Hudson Shelf Valley."
- Scott Glenn presented an invited talk on the "New Jersey
Shelf Observing System (NJSOS)" at the EPA EMAP symposium
in Pensacola, Florida. Scott's session focused on the use of modern
remote sensing techniques for biological sampling.
IMCS in the News
- On May 13, Mike Kennish was featured in the Asbury Park Press
in an article entitled "Overfishing, pollution blamed for
- On May 13, Mike Kennish was featured in an Asbury Park Press
piece called "Barnegat Bay Watch: A new study that foresees
continued rapid development of Ocean County also warns of dire
ecological consequences for Barnegat Bay. Builders, however, insist
that current regulations adequately protect the environment."
- On April 30, IMCS was featured in the Science Coalition's TSC
Times in an article about the Science Coalition Awards (to U.S.
Reps. Frelinghuysen and Holt) hosted in the LE0-15 laboratories.
- The COOL lab added Chhaya Mudgal to their crew as their new
lead programmer on May 15th.