Research Internships in Ocean Sciences (RIOS)
What is RIOS?
RIOS is an undergraduate research program that will introduce you to an active and collaborative ocean research environment. With support from the National Science Foundation, you will conduct ocean research over a paid, 10-week summer internship offered by the Department of Marine and Coastal Sciences at Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey. Continuing undergraduate students pursuing majors in environmental sciences, engineering, geology, biology, physics, or mathematics are encouraged to apply.
- You will interact with scientific leaders in ocean and environmental research
- You will start building a network of contacts for a future science career and advanced graduate study
- You will gain research, proposal writing, and presentation skills
- You will get a $5,000 stipend, free room, paid travel expenses, plus opportunities to obtain academic credit
- You will be close to New York City, Philadelphia, and the New Jersey shore
The program will run 10 weeks, from June 3 to August 9, 2019.
Who can apply?
You must be a US citizen or permanent resident, enrolled in an undergraduate program at a two-year or four-year institution. You should have completed at least one year of study, but must still be an undergraduate in Fall 2019. We encourage applications from students from underrepresented groups, or from institutions with limited research opportunities.
How to apply
The 2019 Application is now available here.
To view this year's projects, please download the 2019 RIOS Project Descriptions.
Applications and supporting materials are due by 11:59PM EST on February 15, 2019.
This program is supported by the National Science Foundation’s Division of Ocean Sciences located in Arlington, VA, under Grant Number OCE-1358888. Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed in this material are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation. The NSF contact for this program is Elizabeth Rom. NSF does not handle REU applications; please contact each REU site directly for application information.