Glider Project Deployed Recovered Days Distance Start/
End Voltage
Air Time POC Notes Payload KMZs Data Metadata
ru30-543 OTIC
18:25 GMT
17:10 GMT
53.95 1351.0
15.00 Volts
14.91 Volts
Haldeman/Aragon/Waite 49 ? kmzs

deployment Notes (49)  

Select Category: Deployment Glider All

2018-11-21 15:15 GMT
deployment 6.9 V on 9V cells used since 6/2018 (changed prior to OTIC ECCO cruise)
2018-09-17 17:32 GMT
deployment 2nd iridium outage analysis results:
nothing of note, density actually lower when iridium dropped out. thought possibly LNA was locked on iridium but gps status no chars is inconclusive. air bladder inflated a little slow (it seemed like) no idea what normal was
GPS worked entire time
2018-09-14 16:36 GMT
deployment 2nd loss of iridium occurrence:

8/15 17 to 8/16:18

Nothing discernible, GPS worked fine, glider got to surface OK. pressure sensors agreed and were consistent throughout. no iridium connects on either number. connected on first dial after quitting the mission 02030002
2018-08-30 13:14 GMT
deployment Recovered off Atlantic City aboard SeaTow boat 8/28/18 by Nicole, Liza, and Laura Wiltsee.

Digifin set screw out. No other visible tail damage.
2018-08-28 02:00 GMT
deployment Some altimeter settings, max_altimeter and reqd_num = 1, can undo once we head back offshore.
2018-08-19 15:07 GMT
deployment Re-sequenced the home missions:


Dive to 50 from 40 m
2018-08-17 21:22 GMT
deployment new mission home.mi
utc surfacings 10am, 12pm (surfac51,52)
utc surfacing mission end 11am (surfac50)
2hr surfacing timer (surfac60)
no comms mission end (surfac42) - 2 days
hit a waypoint (surfac30)
nothing commanded (surfac10)

goto ping-pong points off A.C.
dive to 40m, infinite yo's

new mission drift.mi
basically lastgasp but with shorter overtime (5min). This should cause abort after 5min, and hopefully glider stays at surface.

sequenced [home.mi(2) drift.mi(10)]x4 home.mi(20)
2018-08-17 20:47 GMT
deployment ran 3 od.mi missions (0204.0000, 0205.0000, 0206.0000). Glider called back in for overdepth abort with no problems.

Vacuum was 6.5-7.8 at time of call in, and rose to 8.2 during call.
Maybe air bladder wasn't inflated completely at time of call, suggesting no trouble surfacing?
2018-08-17 20:45 GMT
deployment did use - altimeter and use + altimeter to see if deflating air bladder and hanging up would cause glider to not call back.

glider called back in right away. log file 0203.0003
2018-08-17 15:59 GMT
deployment Lots of science super errors starting on Aug 13th, segment 222-0-23 (02010022)

went from 98 total to:
17 science_super I u 3 20 5 0 [ 0 0 0] [ 9 9 9] [ 896 798 798]

Oxy4 removed from proglets yesterday (Aug 16) - no more oxygen data
2018-08-16 22:00 GMT
deployment Alive and called in at TWR; switched back to us and downloading all sbd & tbd's, several mlg's and an mbd. Need to decide on drift or fly; no "smoking gun" on missed calls yet. Lots of NO CARRIER and timing out.

Oxy optode failed; causing science super aborts. Disabled in proglets. Currently has long u_max_time_in_gliderdos in case need to drift. Offshore trajectory with currents as of now.
2018-08-16 11:46 GMT
deployment Loc. date 2018-08-16 09:58:35
39.45291 N 72.77967 W

Still alive according to argos; getting swept slightly south w/ the currents
2018-08-12 02:09 GMT
deployment For reference, segments during missed call-ins:

2018_222_0_0 was the segment after it called TWR and re-ran the mission.
2018-08-12 01:49 GMT
deployment at last surfacing (8/12/18 00:00 gmt), RU30 got new goto. Headed south to ECOA line and back offshore to hopefully more dense waters.
2018-08-12 01:49 GMT
deployment glider missed 2 call-ins today. Still had some argos hits from it during that time.

Eventually was able to connect to TWR back-up number. Surface dialog from that showed RU30 out of a mission and re-run 200_nw.mi. Suspect that the 'Mission End No Comms' triggered.

Has called back into Rutgers dockserver and transferred data files back. From preliminary checks, appears that glider may have trouble surfacing/staying at surface to make a phone call. Surface density dropped to 1019.5.
RU30 was still running 200_nw and swimming along while we were not hearing from it.

should grab an .mlg or two from missed call-ins
2018-08-09 01:05 GMT
deployment new in to-glider. Climb pump to 185cc and Dive pitch back to 26 degrees.
2018-08-06 17:04 GMT
deployment f_fin_safety_max .32
x_fin_max .26

x_fin = f_fin_safety - fin_deadband (.04 rad)

previous fin wasn't enough to properly steer or the fin isnt working quite well

added more fin see if it can steer better
2018-08-06 01:29 GMT
deployment Fin was stuck at -.31 rad. Attempts to bring back failed. Sent on 2 3 hour segments. Appears to be working now. Limited fin to about .2 radians.

setnumwarn still set to 20, should set back to 2

diving steeper to try to get some speed and get back on the shelf while we still have a fin
2018-08-05 14:24 GMT
deployment Turning back on shore, 30 deg downcasts since were light.

ph profiles down look much better than up.
2018-08-04 13:38 GMT
deployment ASk john, looks like data from segment 48 missing from dbdgroup?
ru30-2018-211-3-48 (0196.0048)
tbd appears to have data

211-3-50 segment glider got wonked on a dive at 20 m
2018-08-03 15:38 GMT
deployment Sensor script enabled to turn current correction back on at next surfacing
2018-08-01 19:20 GMT
deployment was set from slow tests yesterday, used that as template and it was doing slow single yo's today instead of adjusting pump
next surfacing back to :
-220/+180 cc's to bring dive and climb speeds together
2018-08-01 01:30 GMT
deployment Back to 3 hour surfacings; already headed across shelf. Haven't transfered any .nbds from slow dives; no .tbd from only one yo
2018-07-31 22:14 GMT
deployment ECCO_adj goto back on; hardcoded to 5th waypoint (#4)
2018-07-31 22:08 GMT
deployment Back on standard missions; 1/2 hour for this one, will pick up 2 hour next. Back to 3 later if we're comfortable with it. Need a waypoint!
2018-07-31 19:42 GMT
deployment Hi res sampling finished; ran 1 dive at 15 degrees. Transferring nbd's from hi res, will run one more at 11 degrees before switching back to a more standard configuration. tbdlist already back to 6 seconds.
2018-07-31 16:13 GMT
deployment For pH sampling, 2 yo segments, 1 second data on pH and CTD. Crew having some trouble w/ rosette; working through it
2018-07-31 13:00 GMT
deployment Going straight to 1/2 hour surfacings. Will look at tbdlist shortly
2018-07-31 11:12 GMT
deployment 1 hr surfacings going in; crew has left dock. Expected at waypoint ~10:00. Glider is approx. 9 km ENE of waypoint; crew will likely have another 3 miles steam added on. Not bad at all.
2018-07-31 01:40 GMT
deployment Swapping to 2 hour surfacings just so we don't get hung up tomorrow morning. Will switch to 1 hr in a.m.
2018-07-22 18:08 GMT
deployment Back out of full speed - 170 cc climb out of warm core eddy, back on shelf, get dive and climbs equalized for pH
2018-07-19 17:17 GMT
deployment Back to full speed and only to 75 m to try to get out of the warm core ring.

SST shows ring (thanks Rich!)
2018-07-17 14:52 GMT
deployment Diving to 28.5 degrees from 26 (dense offshore waters). Back to 3 hours out of tidal zones
2018-07-16 20:52 GMT
deployment Dug up following:
4S (4 Series) packs have Pitch = 36 cells, Aft = 44 cells = 80 cells, 80/4 = 20 strings, 20 * 30 = 600 ah nominal
3S die around 640/780 = .82, .82 * 600 = 492 AH (rough estimate for 4s first death)

Silbo 4S death was about .77 of nominal capacity, .77 * 600 = 462 ah
2018-07-15 03:26 GMT
deployment CC back on... starting to drift west a bit
2018-07-13 02:00 GMT
deployment Dives back to 26 degrees (should bring D/C to about 17 cm/s)
2018-07-12 00:03 GMT
deployment 2 hour missions, better track tides
2018-07-08 13:18 GMT
deployment Trying CC off in the bank tides... or we can go to shorter missions
2018-07-06 16:47 GMT
deployment 6 second tbd data as per G. Saba, trying to cut file size a bit
2018-07-06 13:48 GMT
deployment 28 deg dives, 180 cc upcasts to try to equalize ballast
2018-07-06 13:07 GMT
deployment had sensor 1 instead of sensor 75, causing pH sensor to not turn on. We lost the data for the ship comparison casts, but this is fixed going forward.
2018-07-06 03:51 GMT
deployment switching to 3 hr no comms
2018-07-05 20:28 GMT
deployment 16:20 - ship has left station and is continuing on. Glider will be retasked on next surfacing to go north to transect line, and full path is tacked on in goto as well.
2018-07-05 20:24 GMT
deployment After 1st leg, glider is definitely light. Min dens 1023.99, max dens 1027.39. It can fly though.
2018-07-05 20:22 GMT
deployment RU30 has been deployed and is currently on full depth yo, 40 minute surfacing (a little paranoia; I'd like to look at a few things), and headed to the south waypoint:

N 40 45.982
W 66 48.137

(Southeast of current position)

Ship will likely leave station around 4, at which point retask will happen on glider to send along new adjusted path. Liza has the waypoint that the ship needs to stay away from to avoid running us over.

Had science on and logging on at surface for bottle collection; went into lastgasp, so ended and restarted logging (split files for water samples, not one continuous).

Overpitching a bit on dives (no worse than usual) and roll inside of 2 degrees. Dive not deep enough for solid altimetry, but will check that on next surfacing.

Min density 1022.99, max density (25 m) 1025.46. Will see how she fares in deeper waters.
2018-07-05 19:11 GMT
deployment Deployed by Liza and crew of NOAA vessel Henry B. Bigelow.
2018-07-05 19:10 GMT
deployment (Copied from previous deployment)

ru30 5/2/2018
CTD 9416
pH C24, FW = 5.3.0
FLBBCD-4662 Triplet D 4.07
Oxy 4831 SN 644

Software 8.1 Beta (pH)
2018-05-02 15:51 GMT
configuration Software 8.1 Beta (pH) 20171026_125300
2018-05-02 15:48 GMT
configuration ru30 5/2/2018
CTD 9416
pH C24, FW = 5.3.0
FLBBCD-4662 Triplet D 4.07
Oxy 4831 SN 644