Expedition Sewee Instructor/Naturalist
Clemson University's Youth Learning InstituteJob Description
Title: Expedition Sewee Instructor/Naturalist
Work Dates: February 2012 - May 2012 (summer opportunities available)
Location: Awendaw, SC
The program combines a unique opportunity to work in varied curriculums and educate children in natural resources and marine biology. We are hiring to work at the Sewee Coastal Retreat Center in Awendaw, SC, where we teach our Expedition Sewee program (marine science). We work with students from 2nd to 8th grade and instruct in day and night programming. In addition, we also facilitate team initiatives and games.
- Regularly teach all marine science and natural resource components of the core curriculum- (training provided).
- Create and master lesson plans for six marine science classes including marine life, salt marsh and barrier island beach studies.
- Lead students in daily program activities (wake-up, , meals, canteen, and campfire).
- Be actively involved in all program activities, leading and participating in evening recreational and instructional times as scheduled.
- Assist with routine clean up and set up of program areas.
- Perform direct supervision of children while involved with activities.
- Facilitate groups utilizing adventure activities.
- BA or BS in Environmental Education, Natural Sciences, Geology, Education, Marine Biology or related field is preferred.
- Must have the patience, understanding, flexibility, and a lot of energy.
- Must demonstrate teaching skills and the ability to implement creative "hands on" teaching methods.
- Must be willing to sacrifice, adapt and work hard as part of a team pursuing an objective.
- Must be physically able to perform the tasks required to teach outdoors.
- Must be willing to work long hours.
Twice a month pay of $550-$500 plus room, board, and a sickness/accidental insurance plan. EOE.
You can send resumes to Chelsey Repokis by email at
or by fax at (864) 878-5985.