What is RIOS?
RIOS is a program supported by a grant from the National Science Foundation, Research Experiences for Undergraduates. RIOS provides paid, 10-week summer internships to participate in a range of projects offered by the Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences at Rutgers University. Continuing undergraduates pursuing majors in environmental sciences, engineering, geology, biology, physics, or mathematics are encouraged to apply. You will conduct an independent research project in a modern laboratory, or be part of field investigations in the region. You will be introduced to an active and collaborative research environment.
- Interact with scientific leaders in ocean and environmental research
- Start building a network of contacts for graduate study and a future science career
- Gain collaborative research, proposal writing, and presentation skills
- A $5000 stipend, free room, paid travel expenses, plus opportunities to obtain academic credit
- Close to New York City, Philadelphia, and the New Jersey shore
When and where?
The program will run for 10 weeks, from June 2 to August 8, 2014.
Depending on their research project, students will be based at the main campus in New Brunswick, or
at the Rutgers University
Marine Field Station in Tuckerton.
How to apply
The following information is required for your completed application. You may send all information, except the Recommendation Letter , to the address below. Electronic submission is acceptable. Your Recommender should independently send their letter to the same address. The deadline for applications is March 1, 2014.
- A copy of your transcript. An unofficial version is acceptable.
- One letter of recommendation.This letter should be from the individual most familiar with your academic background and performance. The letter must come directly from the Recommender, either by mail or as an email attachment. The Recommendation Form below should be given to your Recommender. Please also provide that person with a properly addressed, stamped envelope if the letter is being mailed.
- A current resume (include email and phone numbers where we can reach you).
- A personal statement describing your background, research interest, career plans, and how this Internship will help you reach your goals. You are strongly encouraged to consult the description of potential mentors and research projects and identify two mentors you would be interested in working with. If you have already contacted one or more mentors about working with them, please provide their names.
Application Deadline is March 1, 2014. You will be contacted in mid March about the status of your application. If you are offered a position at this or any other REU Site you do not need to make your decision to accept or reject the offer until March 15th or later. Contact us at
with any questions about the application process or your eligibility.
This REU Site is funded by the National Science Foundation’s Division of Ocean Sciences, and the cognizant Program Director for all OCE-funded REU sites is Lisa Rom at
Questions? Email us at
or write to:
RIOS Program at Institute of Marine and Coastal Sciences
71 Dudley Road
New Brunswick, NJ 08901